CW on Hamsphere 4
2017-12-31 13:21
I am interested in trying CW on Hamsphere 4. So the simple question is what do I do?

So a bit more explaining. I have a straight key hooked up to a usb-serial port to my computer. I have a software called Morse Keyer that makes a sidetone. Can this be used to send morsecode over Hamsphere 4? If so, do I use the standard DSB or CW mode?

If i decide to buy the cw plugin, would that be all I need to use my straight key, or would I have to ALSO purchase the interface adaptor?

From before I have seen very not so god comments regardin the cw plugin, and I see it haven't been updated in a long time. Does it work as desired?

I am thankful to all who can share their experience, and if there are people doing CW over Hamsphere 4 I'd very much like to come in contact with you. I am eager to learn and improve my code.

Thank you, de LB3OH - Christian.
Re: CW on Hamsphere 4
2018-02-19 19:24
Hello Christian, it has been a few months since you posted but I just now saw it so I apologize for the late reply. I use CW with a similar setup to yours. I use the Dadidah Keyer software to produce sidetone. I have posted a schedule for the times I am online sending CW in another part of forum (see post for I think 2017-02-17). I have posted times and frequencies +/-5khz that I will use. Basically, I have been sending CQ calls with little response but I’ll keep sending until I see more stations working CW so hope we can get a community , even if small to come together on CW. Let me know if you have any questions and hope to hear you keying soon!

Mike - W6KAY
2018-02-19 20:07
Hi Guys,

that's the other thread with the schedule of Mike (which was a very good idea!):

http://hs40.hamsphere.com/54_42834_read.html

CW is unfortunately very rare in HS 4 and I prefer voice as well. Although I did my last HAM Exam (late 70 years) with CW, but I was never really trained in it and I'm not aible today to make a fluid QSO in CW. (shame on me)

73 and good DX from Jörg :-)
JO31ok
Bochum / Germany
2018-02-19 22:17
Thanks for reaplying to my message. It would be nice to get some "on the air" practice with cw. I'm a beginner, and want to learn more. It's ok to use software like LCWO, but I like the fact that you are practicing with someone, not just a computerprogram.

Perhaps we can get something going here :)
2018-02-19 23:09
Jorg and Christian,

"On air practice" is always what it should be. Even though many do not use CW anymore. It is fun to try and make out some characters every now and then, even if it is just to figure out the call sign, name, or QTH. I will send at a comfortable rate for even a beginner. Christian, I will be beaming my CW signal towards Europe (Azimuth 25 to 30 degree from San Diego California) so you should hear me. I am using the Log Periodic antenna. If you point your antenna towards the southwest of the US, you should hear me. Take care both of you and 73! By the way, if you either of you do hear me calling CQ, pse feel free to spot!

CW Always!

W6KAY - Mike
2019-01-26 20:40
After some trying, I purchased the ENCODER in the shop, it works very good, although it is for the computer keyboard.
I have it on one of the blank spaces on the logbook open spaces, so when I press that it shows , as a note pad after you press the cw mode, type whatever you want and put the cursor at the end and press enter away it goes. I have since yesterday made 8 qso's on cw, so give it a 5star rating.
POB/K8LEN
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login