CW Morse operation
2016-01-21 11:28
Very disappointed with the lack of response to my calls on CW, i have called over 30 times on different day's without getting a single reply, so went on to SSB and spoke to Members and found out if they could use CW, Having found one! he worked me on the Key, then would you believe it was called by and worked Five CW operators,
For me its a pity that very few use the mode,
So shall not be renewing my membership, should anyone wish to arrange a sked you can find my email address on QRZ,
Many Thanks
Ray
G0EML
Re: CW Morse operation
2016-01-24 17:14
Ray,
I'd like to work cw too but I found the system very unfriendly for such a mode. I don't like keying with keyboard and until I get an easy (and cheap) way to get my paddle working I don't feel to play cw. I know there is the interface but I'm not willing to buy for something that should be free.

I guess that other people have the same feeling.
Max ON4GXY / IW0GXY
2016-01-27 11:33
Hi Max,
i did send you a reply but not sure why its not available to view,?
Well i use a simple method with my Paddle, i just send to my keyer oscillator, and the sound from the oscillator is just sent over the open mike so people can hear the CW Note, Not the best answer but it works for me and some other people
Ray
2016-01-27 12:31
I think the big problem of this method is, that you need your PTT-Key for that all the time and consequently sent a "quiet carrier" first.
After the transmission the PTT must be released again and so on.
That's not the way like a real SW-radio would work on CW.
Maybe most operators on HamsSphere feel this way as "uncomfortable", but I don't know it. .

73 and good DX from Jörg :-)
JO31ok
Bochum / Germany
2016-01-29 11:00
I personally use a plug CW. However, working with its use is tiring. This is the most botched and underdeveloped plug on HS4. I indicate with this problem repeatedly. However, we all we are doing as we can. We try to work CW various methods. We do not give up.

Vy 73' de SP2DNI
Andy
2016-01-29 18:57
Andy, all
I don't like the solution that imply the use of an oscillator for several reason one of which is because I work cw mostly at night and I live in a flat with the family, guess my wife reaction eheh.
One big complain I have is that to work CW I have to pay to get an interface...I think that the module should be embedded in the default radio or free to get.
I'm not very happy with the system as it is now and I can guess that maybe the high rate of trial users that don't switch to registered is due to the prices. I really agree to have the antenna upgrade at a cost but not to have a module that enables you to work a std mode.
I'm sure that this will bring me to evaluate my renewal next year.
I don't give up cw, just delay to a feasible (and cheap) solution :)
Max
2016-02-04 00:15
Read all the comments and found them very interesting. I have yet to do CW for much the same reasons. Because my Bencher is set up now with the cables and things that lead it to a USB hook up and works fine in a program I have called CW Communicator, I think it would work also with the Interface Adapter only and not have to purchase the CW Keyer module.
But I agree it should be a standard plug in with the default radio as any real Amateur Radio would come being able to plug your paddle straight in right a way. Money is tight for me and at the moment can not justified the $25.00 for the Interface Adapter and if for some reason that did not work, sell it and then spend $30.00 on the Cw Keyer still not knowing how well that really does work either.

I am not super great at CW yet, I can send about 7 to 10 words fairly decent but my receiving is at best 3 to 5 WPM I suppose, may not have many wanting to come talk to me because of that, but would be willing to get with people like me and send for the sake of practicing and becoming better.
2017-02-09 14:20
Hello dear's!

Please let me know how I can start to work CW on HS4.0?
I don't understand what I must to do.
Can anybode says it for me step by step
Can I work from keyboard or I must take my bencher put in Computer and then start to work?
2017-03-15 17:11
In response to N8RGO's comment, I am on 40 and 80 meters in the evening (between 0200 and 0430) calling CQ using CW. I am also trying on the weekends throughout the day. I send at 7.5 to 10wpm, but can QRS for anyone. My skills are about the same as yours on CW. I am hoping that more people will try CW on HS4 because I definitely need the practice. One other point I'd like to make, since CW is not as widely used, perhaps a net, or beacon can be established for hamspherians who wish to learn CW. I can try to provide some time with some scripting sent slowly at first 5wpm and speed it up to 7.5wpm or 10wpm at a specific time each day. Just throwing that out there to everyone. Any thoughts?

CW Always!

W6KAY - Mike
2017-09-19 19:25
Sorry for necro-posting! I'm trying to get a single cw qso as well.

What I have done for my straight key (or for paddles) is to pull out the circuit board of an old USB mouse and desolder the left click button. In it's place, I ran two wires to two binding posts and hooked up my key to that. It's works great and is simple as can be.

Fwiw, you don't have to use the keyboard at all. You can simply use your existing mouse and send code with the left click on the cw plugin. It works fine also, but maybe a little bit slower than you're used to. I'm happy to qrs to any speed just to make contacts!
2017-09-28 02:57
DE KI0K, ok OM, I use a laptop but will look into the mouse modification. If it works, I'll purchase the keyer again. The only other way I know of to do CW here on HS4 is to get an external keyer, such as the MRP40 and operate it using USB or LSB. Either way, it is rather difficult and the code comes across as chirpy (sounding like a LID). Hope to QSO with you down the log.

Mike
2017-09-28 19:39
Mike,

I did verify that my straight key works fine. I had a USB QSO two days ago and asked the OP if he would listen for my CW even though he didn't know code and he came back and said it sounded clean and clear.

PM me if you need anything.

73 Sir
2017-10-03 04:44
Hello all,
I realise this is an old subject now, but I would like to say I would be very pleased to make a CW contact with anyone, my speed about 14wpm but more than happy to QRS to what speed suits the individual, if I can get my real key hooked up it would be good, I do not like keyboard, why? well if you saw my keyboard skills you would have no doubts as to why. Hope to hook up with you all soon.

Regards,
Dave 43HS1314
2017-11-04 18:08
Hi Everyone.

I have just read through the messages concerning digi/cw mode here on Hamsphere..and like most of you I have had poor results in getting any replies...for many yrs I have been using these modes in the real world, and since starting on Hamsphere ..from time to time I have transmitted cw/psk/sstv...and have only had two replies...If there is anyone out there that would like to know how to set up Hamsphere for cw or any other mode or simply like to make a contact. please let me know....you can find me and my e-mail on QRZ.COM.

Good DX everyone....de 2W1IBN ..73's
2018-02-28 17:40
2W1IBN,

I realize this is rather a late answer to your post but I am working cw daily from 0300 - 0430 UTC (may be a bit early for you) and 1400 - 1600, 2200 - 2359 on Saturday's and Sunday's on 21.320, 18.120, 14.220, 10.120, and 7.020. Since we are limited to 15 watts on LSB and only 5 watts on USB, my signal may not be heard but try to listen for my signal anyhow. I am using the log periodic antenna and usually try to beam the signal towards the east coast of the US. Hope to hear and work you soon!

CW Always!

W6KAY - Mike
2018-03-23 12:04
yes i agree, there was no cw for trial users in 2012 so did not pay subscription. Yesterday i worked 8 stations in arow on HS4 mAR 2018 DE Gary G4ELD
2018-03-23 12:12
I like morse , I learnt code at 9 years and am 98 % CW on real Ham RADIO. Must say there is now an award for CW on HS4 and worked 8 countries in Europe in evening in an hour yesterday Wot CHANGE., AT last BRILLIANT Date 23-MAR-2018

73 ES GUD DX OM'S DE G4ELD Gary
2018-03-23 12:21
Hi Gary,

the "problem" in 2012 was: we had only HamSphere 3 and at this version CW was only in a small "chat-box" possible, by typing the message.
But Trial-Users could READ all this messages (and hear the CW signals as well), but could not type in own messages until they subscribe.

That was the reason why Trial users couldn't operate (full) CW in 2012 or before HamSphere 4 was active. And without purchasing plugins and so on I think, it is still difficult for Trials, also in HS 4.

JO31ok
Bochum / Germany
2018-05-19 12:39
Just downloaded Hamsphere to try it "again" after many years. I am "cw only" in the real world and had hoped Hamsphere would have caught up by now. After 2 hours "playing," I see it has not changed. I looked at the plugin for cw ... $30? Are you kidding me? Why am I going to spend that unless I can at least try it first. Then I see that 40 meters for CW is now not usable? C'mon folks. I'd like my $30 subscription fee back, I don't see anything here for me.

Doug/WX9B
2018-05-19 12:56
Hi Doug,

that's not correct. As you can see on the current band-plan (for HS 4) CW on 40 meters is still allowed!
Only on 48 meters (which means "the broadcast band") and also on VHF / UHF (2 m and 70 cm) CW is forbidden (and wouldn't make any sense there).
On all other bands down to 160 m it's ok.
Here you can see the HS 4 band-plan.

But you are right, there is not so much CW operating on HS 4 at the moment. Most people are using phone/voice or other digi.modes.

JO31ok
Bochum / Germany
2018-05-21 16:56
Doug,

There are a few ways to work CW without paying for the 30 Euro plug-in and the 25 Euro adapter. You can wire a straight key or paddle into a serial to usb adapter (which plugs into the computer). You can then use your computer's sound card (or the voicemeeter program - donation-ware from the vbaudio website) and a software keyer program such as DahDiDah, ehocw, or fldigi to produce the tones. You can also use your keyboard to send with the hamscope, ehocw, or fldigi programs also. There are CW stations on (I am one of them) but not a plethora as there is on real HF. Try one of these solutions and you'll be back on with the key or paddles. I can send you a file on how to set this up if you email me at michael.mason1550@gmail.com
2018-06-07 05:25
KD6KA Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Doug,
>
> There are a few ways to work CW without paying for
> the 30 Euro plug-in and the 25 Euro adapter. You
> can wire a straight key or paddle into a serial to
> usb adapter (which plugs into the computer). You
> can then use your computer's sound card (or the
> voicemeeter program - donation-ware from the
> vbaudio website) and a software keyer program such
> as DahDiDah, ehocw, or fldigi to produce the
> tones. You can also use your keyboard to send with
> the hamscope, ehocw, or fldigi programs also.
> There are CW stations on (I am one of them) but
> not a plethora as there is on real HF. Try one of
> these solutions and you'll be back on with the key
> or paddles. I can send you a file on how to set
> this up if you email me at
> michael.mason1550@gmail.com
2018-06-07 05:33
For me, they can do whatever they want. I'm very disappointed with the HS system. Renewed my subscription for a second time, with catrastófico results and not to mention technical support, because, for me, does not exist!!! .... When the period of my subscription expires, I never ever again subscribe to HS, I repeat, never ever!. The software is very restricted and with few additional options. For some, it's fine, but for me, it's NO good.
Finite!. In two years, I have not been able to contact anyone!. If I had a radio, with the antenna that I want to use the CW Morse, I could connect with whom I wanted, which does not happen with HS. That's my criterion and I'm not going to change it.
And for the record, I paid both times for my subscriptions. Nothing here is free of charge.
Or is that the user pays and can not have technical support?. That's a scam!
Fuck all this!
Mygelo
2019-02-08 01:19
Hi All,
I realise this is an 'ancient thread' - But I hope somebody on here can help me -
And Kelly if you read this perhaps you could renew my Trial ? My Sign date is given as 01/19/2013 ..
But I'm sure I was using Hamsphere long before that !!..
(( Apologies - I missed the last message you sent me and the seasonal greetings -as I no longer use that email address ))
OK ..
First off I'm just coming back to TRY AGAIN at learning morse code..
and I need somewhere to practice !! .
and I was wondering about adapting an old RS 232 to connect to my straight key. ( as KOIK describes above )
I see a lot of user are unhappy about the quality and the quantity of 'OPS' using CW on Hamasphere.
No Disrespect to G0EML but I don't think that sensing morse using an oscillator and an open mike is the best way for sending !! ?? .BUT I think the problem lies in the NUMBER of USERS - when I first tried CW on Hamsphere that was the way I tried - and I got a 'telling off' from a HAM !! - because i was bleeping all over the place .. or something ?
But that not the Point - I'm just wondering if there is any Alternative to Hamsphere - OR have things improved ?
73 de 29HS638
Peter D
p.p.donoghue@gmail.com
2019-02-08 23:44
29HS638 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi All,
> I realise this is an 'ancient thread' - But I hope
> somebody on here can help me -
> And Kelly if you read this perhaps you could renew
> my Trial ? My Sign date is given as 01/19/2013 ..
>
> But I'm sure I was using Hamsphere long before
> that !!..
> (( Apologies - I missed the last message you sent
> me and the seasonal greetings -as I no longer use
> that email address ))
> OK ..
> First off I'm just coming back to TRY AGAIN at
> learning morse code..
> and I need somewhere to practice !! .
> and I was wondering about adapting an old RS 232
> to connect to my straight key. ( as KOIK describes
> above )
> I see a lot of user are unhappy about the quality
> and the quantity of 'OPS' using CW on Hamasphere.
> No Disrespect to G0EML but I don't think that
> sensing morse using an oscillator and an open mike
> is the best way for sending !! ?? .BUT I think the
> problem lies in the NUMBER of USERS - when I first
> tried CW on Hamsphere that was the way I tried -
> and I got a 'telling off' from a HAM !! - because
> i was bleeping all over the place .. or something
> ?
> But that not the Point - I'm just wondering if
> there is any Alternative to Hamsphere - OR have
> things improved ?
> 73 de 29HS638
> Peter D
> p.p.donoghue@gmail.com

Peter,

you can connect a straight key to Hamsphere with either the Hamsphere 4 CW Keyer or another software keyer, such as DahDitDah. You will need a fabricated 2 wires to a male serial 9 pin connector and then connect to a female serial to USB adapter cable (going into the computer). If you get the Hamsphere 4 CW Keyer from the shop (I think it is 25 or 30 Euros), you will also need to buy the Interface Adapter (15 Euros I believe) and set it up as the manual states.

If you decide to use an external keyer, you'll need to download virtual audio cables from https://vb-audio.com/cables and set them up along side your sound card setup so your CW tones will be interfaced with Hamsphere. If you want I will email you a word document showing my setup and you can try that. I also show how to use full keyboard for sending and copying CW using the Hamscope program.

Now as a third method, Kelly recently developed two more plugins that will allow you to encode typed CW messages with your full keyboard and also to decode received CW messages. Both plugins are in the Hamsphere 4 shop so you'll need to buy them. These do not use your straight key, they are just for keyboard typing CW messages.

Which ever way you choose, I would be more than happy to set up a time to help you practice sending CW. I usually listen on 40 and 30 meters from 1300 - 1430 Monday through Sundays, 20, 17, and 15 meters 1530 - 1730 Saturdays and Sundays and 80 - 30 meters from 2300 - 0430.

Mike - KD6KA
2019-02-14 19:15
And I can assure you that Mike,s method works well ; I worked him a couple of times now and his keying is very well to read . I am not able to send cw with a key because I am still learning and my speed isnt fast enough yet but that will come in time. In the mean while I use fldigi for cw and I enjoy it very much .
Hope to hear you soon Peter
73 de 19HS4249 / Wilco
2020-03-15 03:09
Attention: All readers in these pages

I AM A CW FAN. OPEN FOR ANY SKED. I USE THE FREQS WITH THE FIGURES 18 IN THE END. PSE TRY ME. HAVE SO FAR WORKED 300 PLUS CW QSOS.
SEND A PM AND SKED WITH ME. BEST 73/55
DE ARASU VU2UR
2020-08-21 11:38
Dear All,

reading through this post and the other related topics, I believe I understand the main points of CW operation on HS4. Yet, I still have questions, and your feedback would be really appreciated.

I understand from Jörg's comment that CW is permitted in almost all bands (which is contradicting to the HS User manual available at http://hs4.hamsphere.com/short_user_manual_4.0.3.pdf, so the manual should be updated - right?).

However the TX power is limited to 10W or 5W respectively, and that is my concern. One of the biggest advantage of CW is that it is still working at significant QRN (unfavorable S/N ratios). But if we reduce the max. 100W TX power to 10W (which is exactly 10 dB, and that is very much at DX), we loose this benefit.

How do you see this? Is this limitation a new thing? What are your experiences in HS4 QSOs?

In real HAM regulation (at least over here) there is no such limitation for A1A (CW) mode, what is the reason of it in HS4?

I started HAM Radio in a junior club some 40 years ago, exactly with CW, on the 80m band. No budget for modern devices, home brew 10W transmitter and a separate vintage Marconi receiver - that was a good fun, I could learn a lot. But even in those times it was a challenge running on 10W.

I had to stop the HAM radio (moving, university etc. usual story) more than 30 years ago, and now I asked the authority to find my exam certificate so I can go for a license. Or I go for the exam, good fun again... Before setting up my station I am using HS4 to refresh my skills, so I joined 4 days ago as a trial user. I tried to find CW beyond the beacons, but without real success. Meantime I am brushing up my Morse skills and will connect the key to PC if I can see that it makes sense buying the plugin and spending time to prepare the key-mouse-USB interface.

Currently I am active on SSB, and I will stay (at least until I obtain the real HAM callsign) on HS4, looking forward to your feedbacks and advices if I understand correctly the power limitation and how do you manage the QRP.

Thank you!

Best regards and 73,

Bela - 109HS1079
2020-08-25 16:48
Bela,

Yes, CW is permitted on every band except the BC (Broadcast band - 48 meters) and the 2 meter/70cm bands (repeaters). otherwise the virtual HF bands are open. The only unwritten rule is that CW, RTTY, PSK31, SSTV, and other digital modes be used below 35khz on each band (except the bands mentioned above). The written rule is the power limitation of 5 watts for 10-30 meters, and 10 watts for 160-40 meters). the reason for the power limitation is that the narrow bandwidth of the digital signals allows for more stations to operate the 0 - 35khz space allotted for digital operation. Also, higher power usage would bleed the signal over onto adjacent signals and cause much QRM.

The limited power does not hinder you from making worldwide QSOs. I have worked several station on CW, RTTY, and PSK31 on several bands (except the 160 meter band - very challenging). I use both a straight key and the CW Encoder on the rig and enjoy sending at 18 - 20 wpm (I can slow it down if necessary). I am usually on HS4 between 0100 - 0400 UTC on weeknights and 1500-1700 and 2100-0000 UTC on weekends in both digital and voice modes. Look forward to hear you calling on CW soon!

WW6DX, WW6DX/KH2, TG/WW6DX
2020-08-25 17:15
Thank you WW6DX for the guidance - really appreciated!

I am eager to try out CW (just waiting for the key to be delivered), and looking forward to having QSO with you as well!

I understand all of the rules and they are absolutely reasonable.

Thanks again and 73 ES MNY DX!

Best regards,

Bela
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login