How To Enable Debug Logging On Mac OS X 10.9
2014-09-29 01:00
You know that low "bonk" sound that a Mac plays when you've hit a wrong key, or the system is otherwise trying to get your attention that something is amiss? Ever since installing HS 4.004 a couple nights ago, I have noticed that

a) Every time I start it up, there's a 20% chance it will throw errors and I will have to try again.
b) Every time I run it, there's a 20% chance it will seize up at some point, and I will have to forcibly kill it, and then I will have to reboot the Mac in order to run HS 4 again.
c) Every time I run it, it makes that "bonk" sound on average every few minutes. Sometimes it's a few seconds after I change bands. Sometimes a few seconds after changing frequencies within the band. Sometimes after a while when I've been not touching it and just listening.

All of the above leads me to believe that something is not running quite smoothly, and I would LOVE to provide some useful log files about whatever it is that HS 4 is complaining about. I have not found any log files. Nor have I found instructions as to how to increase the log file verbosity, as I'm sure someone is going to want to look at DEBUG level logging. Being a software support engineer working at a place that does 100% java stuff, I'm rather used to adjusting logging.properties or log4j.xml files in order to get helpful logs.

And since this is java stuff, I'd like to try running the JVM with more memory, but since it's not a jar that I'm starting, nor a shell script that invokes java and a jar file, I don't know where to adjust the -Xmx setting... or maybe PermGen.

So far, this doesn't run very well. I am disinclined to spend any money on virtual antennas, etc., while the virtual transceiver on which it'll get installed is as unstable as this. It shows a lot of promise, despite mostly frustration thusfar.

Ideas?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login