CW in HS4?
2014-08-17 22:26
How does CW works in HS4?, now without the chat window how do I can use CW mode?
Re: CW in HS4?
2014-08-19 07:20
If you link a sounder to your line in, you could work MCW. You could also do this by using something like fldigi or HRD. You would have to key your rig manually or set VOX to suit. I do still hope that we'll see a rigcat module, of possibly Kelly will share enough API info to enable someone to write one. I suspect that homebrew would be difficult to do safely though.

I seem to recall that the news about HS4 had things like SSTV modules, so it could be that there is stuff in the pipeline.

Phil
26HS2308
2014-08-22 06:29
Looking forward to a CW plugin to enable the use of an external key/paddle in HS4.

Bruce

2014-08-27 09:06
43HS031 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Looking forward to a CW plugin to enable the use
> of an external key/paddle in HS4.
>
> 73
> Bruce

I agree, I would like to see a full CW functionality within Hamsphere 4.0...
2014-08-27 10:47
My last information about CW is, that there will be in future a special plugin for that in the shop.
But it takes time. With that you should be able to connect a normal paddle/key to the USB port.

73 and good DX from Jörg :-)
JO31ok
Bochum / Germany
2014-08-31 07:19
But as long as the bandplan does not allow CW on the DX bands 15 and 20 , to me there is not much sence .

Any idea why CW and also PSK/RTTY are so restricted ? They are great modes for QRP QSOs and would like to see the first 20Khz segment be reserved for them on all HF bands .

73 Uli DG7LAE
2014-09-02 12:00
EC3BVU Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> How does CW works in HS4?, now without the chat
> window how do I can use CW mode?

Had a good CW QSO with France on 12M using FLDIGI.
No problems with copy although the signal tends to break up with intermittent gaps in the audio stream.
It's not the best solution, but it's a start.

Bruce
43HS031

2014-09-02 15:54
I'm not sure what keyboard bindings there are for HS4, but I should think that it may be possible to find or write a virtual keyboard program that could be linked to a manual key or to various programs that use the serial port. Does anyone know what the bindings are for HS4?

Phil
26HS2308
2014-09-04 09:25
Hi Phil,

such a interface-programm should come up as a plugin in the shop soon. That's my last information about that.
With that it should be possible to connect any CW-key/paddle to the USB port. But I guess it takes a little bit time, because Kelly is very busy with other things at the moment.

JO31ok
Bochum / Germany
2014-10-26 19:30
I am very disappointed that there is no CW

VY 73' de SP2DNI
Andy
2014-11-23 11:15
as long as the bandplan restricts CW to 30 m only , there will be no change in activity . It works good, had several contacts but with not so many people on HamSphere 4 , hard to find someone. I hope , that one day CW + PSK will be allowed on EVERY band as it is in real amateur radio . This restriction makes no sence . 73 Uli DG7LAE
2014-11-24 12:26
Uli, this restriction (30 meters) is only valid on HS3.
On HS4 CW is allowed on the followed bands:

But digital modes only on 30 meters, that's correct. I don't know why, maybe that's a server-restriction at the first time.
But most of the time I hear CW on other bands like 15, 20 and 40 meters as well. Like in the "real world" it'S only on the lower part of a band.
Most stations are working CW on the .x05. to .x20. KHz range. And voice only at 20 KHz and above.That's OK.

JO31ok
Bochum / Germany
2014-12-23 22:10
Yes -,I too look forward to CW being fully supported in HS4. Also on all bands!

73 all

Nigel G4BSW
2015-02-21 16:33
One option might be to use a keyboard wedge.

I found a promising looking program at http://www.billproduction.com/ that says it can use a switch on CTS/RTS on a serial port, which is a standard that is used elsewhere. For HS3, you could set a wedge up to simulate F1 being pressed when RTS is high, to transmit with a key on the serial port, or something like fldigi or HRD via a virtual port.

I'm not sure that this is possible on HS4 - I heard something about F8 for PTT rather than F1, but another thread said that there were no key bindings for HS4. I've not noticed any keys working the PTT on HS4 - maybe Kelly could add this in? It would be nice to see something like the serial port control that a lot of physical rigs use, maybe based on the Kenwood or Yaesu standards for easy interoperability. Like that, we could link our digital mode software up and off we go. I'd love to try packet on Hamsphere, but that would definitely need external rig control, even for a software TNC.

Anyway, I shall give it a go on HS3, and report back on my findings.

Phil
26HS2308
2015-04-03 19:19
I also would like to see cw on the lower segment of all bands, especially the DX bands 15, 20 and 10. CW is much easier to communicate with than English for non-English speakers which makes it much easier to work DX in that mode. Being CW friendly, such as including an easy to use key plug in, would help introduce this mode to new users. Dan in Mexico City
2019-12-01 22:35
I have purchased the keyer, works well using the left arrow key on the keyboard I want to use my straight key and have modified a mouse. How do I get the second mouse to be recognized by the PC?
2020-02-13 02:48
I have been using CW in HS4. After working the required number of contacts, I was awarded the HS4 CW award. Now I am striving to get CW 500 award. But, I have not seen too much of activity on the various bands. Restrictions are not strictly followed as there is no activity at all. Only when more stations come up in the 05 to 20 kHz lower segment of every band, then the restrictions may become useful.
Not many innovative ideas to connect a straight key or a bug, is available to those operators who are NOT technically capable in tinkering with the mouse and port configurations. The very few youtube videos helped those who could tinker..
The compulsory use of Voicemeter, VB cable, etc., are making activations in Digi mides more complicated. Whoever had the patience, persevance to continue experimenting, have succeeded. I was guided by OM Lew VK5FSDX and I am continuing with that motivation and boosting by Lew.
Keep experimenting and you will get through.
Best 73
de arasu vu2ur
2020-08-29 16:40
Dear All,

if someone is interested, I just prepared a summary about my mini-project of connecting legacy Morse key to PC on USB without touching the wire and plug of the key (nice old piece, I wanted to keep as it is).

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Rcb5wtdLAzXRjTfbFmJjOyT6EKtxYgaK/view?usp=sharing

Best regards,

Béla
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login